Thursday, September 23, 2010

Creative Musings

Marcie Abney wrote a great post on Creative Musings (click here). It got me to thinking. I think so many of us have been there, in many different craft areas. We see something and say "oh I could do that" without really acknowledging the creator.

I remember going to a craft show years ago with two friends. We noticed these really cute candy trains made out of wrapped candy (Lifesavers, Nerds, etc.) At the time I was teaching 3rd Grade Sunday School and thought they would make a cute little Christmas gift for my students. My one friend whispered not too softly “Oh you can make that yourself” to which my other friend said “Yes but you should buy one if you are going to copy the idea” or something to that effect. Now I realize that the person who made it may or may not have been the originator of the idea but the concept has stuck with me. We need to give credit where credit is due. By purchasing one of the candy trains, I would have acknowledged the person who made it, instead of diminishing them by saying that I could do it without their help (by having the item). I am not saying this very well, sorry.

I think that it is important to acknowledge where we get our ideas from, even when we are taking inspiration from another source. Sometimes I will see another’s work and it will inspire me not to copy their work but to play with a new stitch or explore an old one in a new way. I like to acknowledge where the inspiration comes from!!  For example, when watching the movie "Indiscreet" with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman,  I was inspired by the necklace that Ingrid Bergman wore in one of the scenes to create the "Maricot" necklace.  It is a simple but elegant necklace that reflects the much more stunning necklace in the movie.

Marcie also talks about how she found her own style and originality. This is really important because it is hard to create something that is not inherent in who you are. I try to break out and use new colors but they usually don't inspire me because it isn’t who I am and I get bored and walk away, often not even finishing the project. It is so important to be who you are and make that special and unique to you. That is really what will draw people to your work because your passion will be reflected in your work!

I hope that you take the time to read her post. It has given me lots of food for thought for how I do things and why I do things.
Have a great day. Happy Beading,

Nancy

3 comments:

Marcie Abney said...

Nancy, That is exactly the idea that I was trying to get across! I'm so glad that you found the post inspiring and thanks so much for continuing the conversation!

Kristen said...

Yep I read that post too and it was so cool how she acknowledged how we all seem to start on a journey and that giving credit where it is due is not only honoring the artist behind the inspiration but yourself as well!

Pretty Things said...

I love what Marcie wrote and what you wrote, too. However, I would say that sometimes people will say "that person copied me" when the accused has never even seen what they're talking about. Been there, and some of my friends have been, too, which is why I think no one should ever post a call-out in anger (not saying either of you did -- quite the opposite!).

I think it's wonderful to take things and give them your own meaning. It's hard sometimes when a stitch is used by all bead weavers, or a component is used by all beaders. But I agree, find your voice -- like, I will never do seed beads because I tried once and immediately knew it wasn't my thing unless I wanted lots of gray hairs!

A very thoughtful post you wrote!