Thursday, December 30, 2010

Margie and Me - Year End Throwdown

It is hard to believe that another year has come and gone.  This has been a year that I am glad to say good bye to.  There were many joys this past year but there were also a lot of difficulties.  I am praying that this coming year will be a good one.  Hopefully the country in general will start to pull itself out of the slump that we've been in for a few years now.  For a change, I feel that we may be finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I hope so.  As one who is and was affected by the downturn in employment in my family, I am praying for a more stable 2011.  Anyway onto some beady fun!

This challenge was a challenge for me in a way that I didn't expect.  The color wasn't the problem.  (I chose Winged Lions of the Ishtar Gate - #46)  I had made some great components (the beaded rivolis and the circle) but I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with them.  First it was one style of bracelet.  Then that didn't work so I tried something different as a bracelet.  Then the components were sitting on my table in such a way that I wondered about adding a drop to them.  So I ordered one and a bunch of other related beads.  When they came, I started playing again.  This worked, this didn't.  Finally I had the "bottom" portion of the necklace with the components.  It took me a week to figure out what type of "chain" to suspend it from.  I love the end result but it felt like pulling teeth to be able to put it together.  I am going to make a second one in the upcoming weeks to refine the design. (I am looking for a name for this necklace, please feel free to leave me a comment with suggestions!!  Thanks.)
As I have said before (and will probably say yet again), I love this challenge.  I hope all who read my blog will join in.  It is always good to stretch yourself and try colors that are out of your comfort area.  The challenge is about color, not design.  So don't be afraid to try your favorite pattern in a new colorway.

Be sure to check out La Bella Joya to see all the wonderful entries in this challenge contest that Marcie has sponsored.  It will be hard for me to pick one to vote for!!

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great end of the year and I wish you the most happiest of New Years!!

~Nancy



7 comments:

Emma said...

Morning Nancy... sometimes design is a challenge isn't it, but my goodness, your persistence paid off. What a fabulous creation... I think the necklace is absolutely beautiful. Wishing you a fun New Year and see you back here in the 2011 Challenges.
Warmest hugs... Emma xx

Marcie Abney said...

This is gorgeous, just gorgeous. Thanks, Nancy.

Maryanne said...

I love this necklace, Nancy! It's gorgeous! I agree that 2010 could have been much better for our family also. Hopefully, the new year will be better.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a great new year.

Kristen said...

That is a gorgeous necklace!! Your beading is so beautiful and flowing. I can't wait to see what color combo comes in the next piece.

rockcreekcreations said...

Awesome job on the challenge!

Las Creaciones de Boricua said...

Beautiful!!!!!!! Happy New year!!!

Littletreats said...

That necklace is stunning, what a beautiful design, well worth the effort and time it must have taken you! The rivoli's look brilliant, and I just love the drop and how it's all been put together, best of luck.
I hope 2011 is better for you.

Laura
x