Thursday, May 19, 2011

Endurance and Encouragement

This is a non-beading post.  I hope you don't mind.  Much to the chagrin of my eldest, I need to brag a little.  I won't be offended if you quit reading right now.  My oldest son has always enjoyed sports, watching, playing and competing in them.  He has played soccer since he was old enough to join the local league (my younger son as well.) He is in 6th grade this year and was able to sign up for the middle school sports teams.  Of course he wanted to play in everything but we told him he could do two this year. 

So in the fall he played soccer.  He decided that he wanted to do track in the spring as his other sport.  This was all new to him, the different events that there are.  He thought that he wanted to be a sprinter but coach thought that he would be a better distance runner.  So he practiced and practiced.  The first time that he did a timed mile his time was 7:56, which was good.  Coach said his time should be about 8 minutes.  He was happy to beat that goal.  His coach is a great encourager, explaining that in track you are competing against yourself to improve your own stats.  Everyone has different talents and some are going to be faster or throw better or that may be you but the important thing is to beat your own personal scores.  I think this is an awesome attitude to have because to me, just getting out there and trying is winning.

They had a total of four meets that they competed in.  In every meet in at least one event, he beat one of his personal bests.  By the last event, he had shaved over a minute off his time for the mile.  His other main event was the half mile and he took 24 seconds off his time.  There were lots of other events that he did once because the coach needed him to.  In everything, I could tell that he tried his best.

The picture below is one of my favorites from all that I took.  During one of the meets, my youngest decided to run along to encourage his brother.  I just happened to hit the shutter at the right time (dumb luck, couldn't do it if I tried) to catch them running together.


I think that there is a very valuable lesson in this that applies to beading and life in general.  Often I hear people in classes say "Oh I couldn't make that" or "I don't think that I could ever come up with a design on my own" or "How lucky that you were published but I couldn't do that".  I find that attitude disheartening.  Everyone has something that they excel at, something that they can do better than someone else.  I have a dear friend who sings beautifully.  I can sing ok, but I will never be able to sing like she can.  That is ok though because that is the talent that she has been given.  She will be the first to tell you that she doesn't have a creative bone in her body.  She makes beautiful things if someone shows her how but not coming up with it on her own.  The point is this... Each of us needs to just compete with ourselves, to work to beat our personal bests.  We each have talents that were given to us and we need to put our time and energy into what we do do well instead of using that energy on wishing for what we don't.  Today take the time to enjoy doing something that you do well.  Encourage someone in what they do well.  Let go of the need to compete in something that is not your strength.  Be yourself and do it well!




6 comments:

Maryanne said...

This is a wonderful post, Nancy. Your son proves that you can do whatever you put your mind to. I don't like hearing people say they could never do something. It's so self-defeating.

Lisa Criswell / Indigo's Beads said...

great post! congratulations to your son on all his achievements!

Abracadebra Designs said...

Wow, Great post. Congrats to your son. He probably doesn't realize it now, but he is learning life's most valuable lesson. That is great that your other son ran with him, too. I once had a teacher who always said, "The word can't isn't in the dictionary."
-Debbie

Blogger said...

+$3,624 PROFIT last week!

Subscribe For 5 Star verified winning picks on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL + Anti-Vegas Smart Money Signals...

Blogger said...

There's shocking news in the sports betting industry.

It has been said that any bettor must watch this,

Watch this or quit betting on sports...

Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software

Blogger said...

Quantum Binary Signals

Get professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone every day.

Start following our signals NOW and make up to 270% a day.